Tyra on Good Hair

I recently came across an old Tyra Banks talk show where the topic of the day was “good hair”. There was one segment where a mother was perming her 2 yr old daughter’s hair. No offense to people with relaxed hair, but there was a girl on the show with relaxed hair who felt her hair was good hair because it wasn’t “nappy” and had that (in her own words now…) “white girl flow”!! I’m sorry, but that is just off the wall. There were a lot of moments during this show that caught me off guard. Anyways, take a look and as always: Share your thoughts!!

• Anonymous August 12, 2009, 7:20 pm

I mad Tyra wore cornrows for this one show. She is a joke. It's nice to shed light on the subject but I guarantee you will not see her rock her natural hair. I think there are so many misconceptions about our hair and if we start to educate ourselves about our hair you would not see some if the ignorance displayed on this show.

• Naquita February 21, 2011, 5:55 pm

Was thinking the same thing at first, but at least she admits that she wears straight weaves as a result of pressure from the industry. Let’s hope she finds a way to influence the industry where this issue is concerned. Interestingly, all women White, Indian or Black seem subjected to the general perception that beauty = straight hair :s

• Keeley July 21, 2010, 3:12 pm

I know this is an old post, but thanks for sharing! I didn't see this episode when it originally aired, but WOW. My mom never used the term "good hair". Although my hair is relaxed, if we have a daughter I will NOT put chemicals in her hair.

• Julie January 16, 2011, 1:56 pm

WOW!!

The world’s WORST Mum’s show

• Anna January 22, 2011, 11:09 pm

@ Julie: I wouldn’t neccesarily say they are the “worst mom’s” just because they dislike kinky hair and choose to put chemical relaxers on their daughter’s hair. I love my mother, and she permed my hair when I was 3 years old up until I was 12 years old. My mom has her own personal opinions on naturally kinky hair and she personally prefers hair that is straightened, but that does not make her a bad mother. My mom has been great to me, and even now that I am wearing my hair naturally (15 yrs old, BC on Jan. 14th) she is still supportive of me. Just because these mom’s relax their daughter’s hair it doesn’t mean they’re bad parents. They just have their own opinion’s on kinky or type 4 hair, and it shows through their children as well. But i’m sure the kids love their mother’s regardless and when they are older they can decide what they want to do with their hair and form their own opinions on it, just like me. My mom personally dislikes kinky hair, while I have and always will love it because it’s apart of me. Is my mom a bad mom because she permed my hair at a young age? No, that is just one wrong doing out of the many good/great things she has done for me. We do not know this mother’s personally and therefore should not judge their mothering skills.

• Naquita February 21, 2011, 5:49 pm

I know this is an old post but it is so funny how relative the concept of “good hair” is. In the Caribbean we say nice hair, and a lot of the people I see… African American women who are “accepting” their natural hair now or thought it was too big when they were little and begged for relaxers.. would be considered to have ” nice hair” as we say in the Caribbean. The difference though is that we all think that straight hair is the ultimate symbol of beauty… While watching the show I remembered an experience at a Mall in New York where a Hispanic sales girl walked up to me and my little niece, selling a flat iron. My niece was wearing corn rows and the sales girl told us that flat ironing would be better for her hair since corn rows will break her hair! Do you know that corn rows are one of the few African traditions to actually survive the Middle Passage intact? **sigh**Hopefully we can inspire others with our decision to go and remain natural. We really need to “emancipate ourselves from mental slavery”. This has gone on for too long.

• Monique June 3, 2011, 12:51 am

I recently watched that show on you tube and I found it very offensive that women of color can feel proud about making their children believe that the hair they were born with was something so bad and horrible that they have to alter it to feel beautiful. My daughters and niece are natural and I am a proud natural woman of five years. How can we as women period tell our kids that they shouldn’t care about how other people feel about them when we ourselves are telling them they are ugly if they have nappy, natural, coily hair. It’s not right.

Tyra on Good Hair