Mae’s Homemade “Sweet Shine” Spritz [HOMEMADE HAIR PRODUCTS]

In my latest braid-out vid tutorial, I used a homemade oil spritz to help minimize frizziness when taking my braids down and separating them further. I call this my “Sweet Shine” spritz and it’s really simple and easy to make!

Mae’s “Sweet Shine” Spritz

2 tsp Raw Honey
1/4 cup Avocado Oil
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 tsp Liquid Vitamin E
2 drops Lemongrass Essential Oil (or any EO of your choice)

1. Mix avocado oil and EVOO first in spray bottle

2. Then add honey, liquid vitamin E and EO

3. Shake well to mix! (Note: honey may settle down to the bottom in between uses, so make sure to shake well before use!)

If you try this, let me know how it works out for you! : )

Note: I’m sharing this recipe because this is what I use with my hair. I can’t guarantee that this will work for everyone else who tries it. It’s also possible that the other products you use on your hair along with this oil combination may not be a good mix. If you find that the oil mix is too heavy/sticky for you, try using little to no honey. My hair is very dense and thick and I find that this particular oil mix is neither heavy or “sticky” for my hair. All about experimenting and trial & error : )

• Latoya March 16, 2011, 8:25 am

I really am glad that I discovered you on you tube. Your hair is really beautiful! I am going to try your homemade sweet spritz. Since it is a unique blend of what you made you should change the name to Mae’s Switz Spray…its the combination of sweet and Spritz;)

• Ronnet March 23, 2011, 12:17 pm

I agree with the suggested name change. Love your site! Keep doing what you are doing which is helping us love our hair.

• Shonneky March 16, 2011, 8:33 am

Sounds wonderful! I’ve got to try it! And your braid out looks amazing! I can’t wait to try this out. I’ve almost reached this length! Thanks for being such an inspiration.

• Casandra March 16, 2011, 9:29 am

Is it possible to add kbb jojoba oil as an essential oil to the mix?

• Zheahra March 16, 2011, 9:50 am

I’ll let you know how it works out for me. Love the results it gave your hair.

• SparkD March 16, 2011, 10:30 am

I can tell from the ingredients alone this is going to be successful in shine. Olive oil and avocado oil give natural shine.

I’ll have to purchase more fragrant essential oils, I’ve been using sweet almond oil as a fragrance.

• Chrystal March 16, 2011, 11:32 am

Hey question whats EO?

• Mae March 16, 2011, 12:17 pm

EO stands for Essential Oil

• Cindy T. Morris March 16, 2011, 6:45 pm

I have to try this and let you know how it works out for me. It sounds good and healthy.

• Rhea March 17, 2011, 5:31 am

OMG! ur hair is fantastic! It grew so much in a year. How did u retain length and moisture. It is so thick and bouncy. Please let me know your secret and go to products also.

• Adeea Rogers March 17, 2011, 4:23 pm

I tried it last night and my braidout is better than it’s been all week. I think I will like it better on freshly washed hair (this is 7 day old hair) Thanks for sharing this!

• gigi March 17, 2011, 10:33 pm

I love the braid out! Why the honey in the spritz?

• Veronica March 18, 2011, 11:18 am

Sadly, it made my hair feel crunchy, but maybe it was something I did wrong. =(

• Andrea March 19, 2011, 4:06 pm

@Veronica,
    Everyone’s hair is different so what works beautifully for one person will not work for another. So you probably didn’t do anything “wrong.”
    Some people use shea butter and other things as their only leave in and have great results. I personally can’t do that.
    Maybe you can try layering a creamy moisturizer on with the oil. I have to do one and then the other or my hair turns out crunchy too.
    You can try other people’s tips and they may or may not work for you. It’s all trial and error.

• Jo March 18, 2011, 11:21 am

tried is y’day and like Veronica it made my hair crunchy and sticky – i thought I put too much honey – so i diluted with water but it was still sticky – ah well will wash it out 2morrow .

• Jnappygirl March 18, 2011, 12:53 pm

love your braids out, good tutoriel, thanks

• SoulGoddess March 20, 2011, 12:14 pm

I’m going to try coconut oil. That gives an awesome shine. Trial and error… cheers to it.

• Erin March 20, 2011, 2:10 pm

I love your hair! Your definatly my hair idol lol. I tried the mix and love the way it made my hair look and feel, But i thin i did someting wrong. I coulodnt really get the honey to mix in very well (raw honey is solid) amd what little bit i could clogged up my sprayer. Any word of advice on that?

• Essential oils March 23, 2011, 1:33 am

it is very nice post

• GlaminCincy March 27, 2011, 7:53 am

Thanks Mae!! I can’t wait to try this recipe. Where do you get your avocado oil?

• Mae March 28, 2011, 4:41 pm

I purchased my Avocado oil from Whole Foods Market. Hope it works well for you!

• happynappy2009 April 10, 2011, 7:17 am

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I am going to mix up a bottle soon and give it a try! Love the braid out too!

• Brittney June 12, 2011, 11:00 pm

Is this the only product that you use on your hair? If not what are some of the other products that you use? I’m looking for a really good leave in conditioner and moisturizer. I was wondering if this would take the place of those for you.

• Tamika August 8, 2011, 9:59 am

I want to thank you very much for helping me open my eyes to learn to love my natural hair. I’v been natural come end of august this year. I’m still learning my hair, and enjoying the journey. I became so sick and tired of the way my permed hair felt. So I decided to wear different styles of braids until it grew out enough (a few inches) then I had all the permed hair cut off. It was a major weight off my shoulders. I felt all around good about myself, I was already back in the gym working out, and lost 31 pds, down to a size 10, so I knew the hair journey was next. Once the permed hair was gone along with my 31 pds, I haven’t looked back. I figure I work out 5 to 6 times a week, and watch what I eat, why not have healthy hair too! I want to thank all of the ladies rock with their natural hair! :)

• Lukisha Porter August 22, 2011, 4:51 pm

Where did you get the spritz bottle from. I love the shape!

• Telli January 25, 2012, 8:29 pm

I tried the spritz, but I only did one teaspoon of honey and used argon oil and rosemary oil instead of lemongrass. It worked out great for me!! Hair is shiny, soft, and not sticky at all.

• Whitney August 2, 2012, 10:39 am

Wow!!! This is working so good in my hair! I’m so happy and proud of being nappy. I was desperate because every others products was making my hair dry!
    So thank you and please carry on with all you’re doing because it’s helpfull to me.
    I have two question for you:
    1) what is your hair type? I’m 3c-4a
    2)When you are doing you’re hair cream, do you put beewax or anything els?
    Thanks for answers

• Mae April 14, 2011, 9:28 pm

EVOO – extra virgin olive oil