Tamika Fletcher Shares Tips on Hair Loss Prevention

Tamika Fletcher is the co-owner of Natural Resources Salon, a chemical free hair salon in Houston, TX. The salon specializes in natural hair care, organic products and the treatment of hair loss among adults and children. Tamika is a strong advocate on environmental awareness and client education and hopes to inspire others to work toward “green” lifestyle choices while making smart beauty decisions.

While I would love to share with you some of my tips on general, natural hair styling and products- I think it’s important that there is a voice among the “naturalistas” that speaks to the often neglected subject of hair loss. It’s a real and (in some cases) preventable dilemma, with current estimates of over 70 million adults and children suffering from hair loss in this country alone. The following are my 7 tips for maintaining that beautiful crown of head, without compromising your day to day look.

1.      Avoid Tension to the Hairline

Styles to avoid include any style that puts tension on the hairline. Try to avoid wetting your hair daily and slicking it back with gel. The hairline is the easiest area of the scalp to cause permanent damage due to styling.

2.      Always Condition & Moisturize

Use conditioner after every shampoo. The two competing textures (dry hair and conditioned hair) will cause hair to tangle if not properly conditioned. Natural moisture helps to keep scalp and hair soft and healthy. I know that when we are still wearing a relaxer, that too much oil will weigh down the hair- but natural hair needs extra attention. Using light-weight, natural oils will also help to avoid tangles when combing, thus preventing breakage.

3.     Avoid Tight Braids, Ponytails and Bonding Glues

Keep in mind when choosing your style that damage from bonding glues or tight braids can lead to permanent damage and hair loss. For children, avoid rubber bands, “ball” holders and make sure to remove ponytails prior to bedtime and cover the hair.

4.    Avoid Improper Hair Extensions

Often people will attempt to hide the hair loss with the use of extensions/weaves, assuming it will aid in hair growth. Yet, because those styles have to be fastened to the scalp with bonding glues or braided, it causes further damage, leading to possible traction alopecia. Extensions should not be worn over a 2-3 month period on fragile or over-processed hair.

5.   Avoid Excess Heat

Women who use “hot combs” or high heat to straighten hair can create scarring alopecia, making it difficult for hair to regrow. Using high heat more than once a week will break down the cuticle layer of hair, leaving hair brittle and thin. For those transitioning their hair, excess heat can also lead to permanently straightening new growth.

6.   Avoid Chemical Treatments

Prolonged use (10-20 consecutive years) of chemicals can cause gradual hair loss. Be cautious not to overuse chemicals by dying the hair often and relaxing hair more than recommended, including “spot perming,” which can also cause thinning, shedding, and overall hair loss.

7.  Consider High Blood Pressure

Over half of my clients that have high blood pressure and/or taking medication for high blood pressure have hair loss in the crown. As a result, the hair can become softer than normal and easier to break. Speak to your physician about the medication you’re taking to determine if hair loss is a side effect.

For more information about Natural Resources Salon, please visit www.naturalresourcessalon.com. Watch this video to see Tamika sharing her tips on protective styling and hair loss prevention:

• TiAnna Mae July 28, 2011, 1:53 pm

Great tips! I knew all of them except the one about high blood pressure meds. I’ll be passing that tip on to my mom ASAP.

Thanks again!

• Trudy July 29, 2011, 12:08 am

I knew conditioning was important, but your tip about “The two competing textures (dry hair and conditioned hair) will cause hair to tangle if not properly conditioned” really gave me the why behind the what. No I have a better understanding of WHY to condition aside from just to moisturize. Thanks!!

• Teri B. July 30, 2011, 6:17 pm

Thank you for the tips! I have been looking for a natural hair salon in the Houston area but haven’t found much information about any of them. This really helps give me some detailed information at least about one! Thanks again! :-)

• Reigna August 1, 2011, 8:59 am

I really appreciate this post. I actually can relate to hair loss at a time when my hair was in extensions and I decided to add in way too much extension hair on my delicate fine hair and ended up with a bald spot for months. I was devistated but it taught me never to repeat the same mistake twice. And now when I put in my extensions I make sure to add just the right amount of hair and leave it at that. It turns out feeling light and manageable!

• Danielle August 1, 2011, 11:25 am

Great tips, the last one about blood pressure is pretty interesting. I wonder why it affects the hair line that way

• stephanie derolus August 4, 2011, 11:24 am

I was wondering my daughters have natural hair and I use the black rubber bands on their hair when styling. If the rubber bands are not good what else should I use. I have relaxed hair since I can remember. I am thinking of going natural and was wondering how would I start this process. I have decided not to ever relax both my daughters hair. Instead want them to love their beautiful hair. Please, e-mail me back with some suggestions. Much appreciate.

• sharon hill August 6, 2011, 3:11 pm

I wore add on ponytail about 3 years ago I now have a bald spot. Where do I go to find out if the hair can regrow.I now wear a wig.

• AJCiti August 31, 2011, 2:42 pm

Thanks for posting this, I recently put my hair in yarn braids as a “protective style” only to realize that these braids cause way too much strain on my edges and fine hair. I was on vacation this weekend and one of my braids broke off taking a number of my APL strands with it!

heed to the warnings ladies!

• cheryl September 5, 2011, 1:18 pm

Great advice, Tamika!

• Eden April 5, 2012, 3:22 pm

Hi Tamika. I appreciate your information about hair care. I also saw the Perm video and how toxic to the body. I have very soft thin hair for years. Very thin on top. Back is a thicker. I usually wear a wig or weave because of the thin-ness. I did have a weave gone bad and took out my hair bald on half my head. I as told the cap was the wrong material & took out my hear to the scalp. My hair grows in straight is a silky grade (no perms) with a natural curl. What hair regrowth treatment would you suggest. I saw in the video that your hair had come out years ago. I really must wear the wigs now. I’m overwelmed at hundreds of hair tonics, grease & creams in the hair shops. Every one promises hair growth. Most are rather expensive. I have found none to work even years ago when thin hair was my problem. Now Im “baby butt bald” over most of my head. What would you suggest? Hard to believe those hair growth commercials. I have also seen recipies of black tea& castor oil baked for 5 hours into a oil compound. I could really be a spokes-model for a product that works. Please hope you can help me. “I am not my hair” but it is humbling to look in the mirror these days. Brings me to tears. Thanks in advance for anything you could suggest.

• soladunn May 6, 2013, 9:53 am

i love your tips so much and they have proven helpful to me personally cos i had a terrible hairline challenge. I’d love to share this amazing information with m blog visitors to further enlighten them on this matter. Can i?

Love, SolaDunn.

• joyce grandy May 9, 2013, 8:45 am

Hi Tameka, I too take a blood pressure medication & have experirnced baldness in the crown. Do you reccomend hair vitamins for hair regrowrh? If so, what vitamins do you prefer. Thank you,