” I spent so much time twisting my hair and after wearing it out for a day, my style was gone!”
I can totally relate to that experience! When I first tried a twist-out, I actually ended up having to wash my hair a day after I took the twists out because my hair simply did not hold the style well at all. Nowadays, twist outs have become my GO-TO natural hair style, where I can generally wear a twist out from one wash weekend to the next.
[Note: Picture above is a one-week old twist out using Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter w/no retwisting during the week!]
Here are some tidbits that may help you stretch your twist out styles!…
[Don’t forget to check out the list at the bottom where I list some of my favorite products for twist-outs!]
1. The smaller you make your twists, not only will you have more curl definition but that definition may last longer as well.
2. Twisting on wet hair with a cream-based product that will seal in moisture will also help you lock in definition for a longer period of time, compared to a twist out on dry, stretched hair in some cases.
3. Make sure your hair is completely dry before taking out your twists. If you’re looking for a less-defined, fluffy look, you’ll want to take your twists out before they completely dry. However, for a more defined look that will last longer, you’ll want to be sure that your twists are fully dry before unraveling them.
4. Applying a natural oil/pomade to your twists while unraveling your twists can help cut down on frizz.
5. Sleeping with a satin or silk scarf/bonnet at night not only protects your hair from potential breakage, but can also minimize frizz due that is caused due to friction between your hair and your pillowcase.
6. If your twist-out already looks like its on its way out but you don’t feel like washing your hair yet, simply apply a light leave-in conditioner and retwist your hair in larger sections at night and unravel the next day to “refresh” some of the definition.
Some of my favorite products for twist-outs!
Twisting Creams/Butters: Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Beija Flor Naturals Creme Brulee
Untwisting Butters/Pomades: Karen’s Body Beautiful Butter Love, Jane Carter Solution Nourish & Shine, Qhemet Biologics Hydrate & Twist Butter
Light Leave-in Conditioners for Retwisting: Bee Mine Products Deja’s Hair Milk, Karen’s Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia
Some of my YouTube Twist Out Styling Vids
What are some of your tips for making your twist-out styles last longer? What are some of your favorite products to use?