“Natural Girl” A Poem by Marcus Aurelius Higgs

I was introduced to the poetic skills of Marcus Aurelius Higgs back when we attended college together. I was so delighted to hear from him before my Naturally Pretty event with Mimi J last year. It was then that he told me about a poem he had written about natural ladies. I was so honored to have him perform it at our event that night!

(Sidenote: He’s a natural lad that sports a fro of his own! *smile*)

For those that haven’t heard it, definitely check out the video below!

This is a poem written by Marcus Aurelius Higgs many years ago but the sentiment is still the same. Pass it on to a Natural Girl who needs to hear it.

NaturalStyl.es is a natural hair video library that organizes, tags and makes the natural hair tutorials around the internet easier to search. To learn more, head to http://www.naturalstyl.es

• caleisha February 22, 2012, 10:08 pm

I love this piece! It’s really uplifting for anyone transitioning & for those already natural. Marcus was the reason I joined Art&Soul at Oakwood :) I’m so glad that you posted this poem because the last time I heard it was… about 6 years ago. Thanks!
    -Caleisha

• Marcus February 26, 2012, 11:34 pm

Caleisha…What’s up homie! It’s been a minute, but it’s still good poetry still brings us together, eh?

Thanks for the love on the piece. It was a pleasure to write it and recite it then, and I’m glad you still appreciate the words now.

• Salomey February 23, 2012, 3:43 pm

Ayy I love this! Absolutely brilliant.. instills confidence in you :) We should all learn how to love the way God made us! If only relaxed sisters could see- being yourself in everyway is completely BEAUTIFUL! And our men, they should support us and make us feel like this instead of pressuring some sisters to get weaves or relaxers etc.. Then we can all live Nappily Nappily ever after .. :)

• Marcus February 26, 2012, 11:40 pm

Our words create our worlds, and right now this world needs a lot more words that build. Thanks for enjoying it Salomey.

Continue to feel good in the skin that you’re in before you’re fairy tale ending. ;)

• gena February 28, 2012, 9:15 pm

love it… it was just GREAT!! I LOVE THE SKIN IM IN..

• Shawnie March 13, 2012, 5:50 pm

LOVE.. this spoken word! I’m 9months natural and my man makes me feel so beautiful. I enjoyed this so much I foward this to all my girls who men are given them a hard time. Marcus you truly have a way with words. I fell in LOVE more with my hair after hearing your WORDS! Thank you for LOVING US NATURALS!

• thatchickwiththehair March 19, 2012, 3:30 pm

Hey Mr. Higgs!

I absolutely love the poem–you really know how to make the sistas feel good!God’s truly given you the gift of spreading the word that is love. Keep at it my man.