All Natural To The Rescue: 5 Yummy Homemade Hair TREATments by Dr. Phoenyx Austin

All Natural To The Rescue: 5 Yummy Homemade Hair TREATments

By Dr. Phoenyx of DrPhoenyx.com

Got a few pieces of overripe fruit, or a can of coconut milk that’s collecting dust? Instead of tossing it out, why not use it to make a yummy hair treatment. In case you didn’t know it, you can absolutely use things like that mushy day old banana or that almost finished bottle of honey to deep condition your hair. So take a min to open up pantry or frig, maybe there’s something inside that you can use to actually “feed” your hair.

1. Coconut Milk Treatment

Coconut milk is rich in protein and fatty acids, which makes it great for conditioning, strengthening and reducing breakage. It’s also great for restoring shine and softness to weathered tresses.

You’ll need: 1 cup coconut milk, 1 peeled and mashed avocado, 1 tbsp of honey

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. You can apply cool mixture directly to freshly cleansed hair, or preheat mixture in microwave for 30-45 seconds. Let sit for 5 minutes. Rinse out with conditioner and style as usual.

2. Avocado Treatment

Avocado is rich in fatty acids that help restore shine and softness to dry, brittle hair. The omega fatty acids in avocados are also good for soothing a dry or irritated scalp.

You’ll need: 1 avocado (peeled), 1 egg yolk, 1 tablespoon jojoba oil

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Apply to freshly cleansed hair, and massage into hair and scalp. Let sit for 5 minutes. Rinse out with conditioner and style as usual.

3. Banana Treatment

Bananas are rich in natural oils and nutrients that help to restore hair’s natural elasticity. This means less breakage. Bananas will also help restore softness, shine and can even be used as a remedy for dandruff.

You’ll need: 1 banana (peeled), 1 egg, tablespoons milk, 5 tablespoons olive oil

Mix all the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Make sure banana is fully pureed so it doesn’t become difficult to rinse from hair.  Apply to freshly cleansed hair, and massage into hair and scalp. Let sit for 5 minutes. Rinse out with conditioner and style as usual.

4. Honey Treatment

Honey helps restore shine and it’s a natural humectant- which means it can help keep hair moisturized by literally pulling moisture into hair from the surrounding air. Honey is also super rich in sulfur, iron, zinc and B vitamins- all nutrients that stimulate healthy hair growth.

You’ll need: ½ cup honey, 2 tablespoon olive oil

Mix honey with olive oil. Heat mixture in microwave for 30 seconds. Apply to freshly cleansed hair, then cover head with shower cap for 5 minutes. Rinse out with conditioner and style as usual.

5. Papaya Treatment

Papaya can be used to restore shine and softness to hair. It’s also rich in plant proteins that help repair damage and fruit enzymes that help remove product buildup.

You’ll need: 1 raw papaya, 1 tablespoon of honey, ½ cup yogurt

Remove seeds and skin of papaya. Blend all ingredients. Apply to freshly cleansed hair. Let sit for 5 minutes. Rinse out with conditioner and style as usual.

Do you like making homemade, all-natural hair treatments? How do they work for you? Share your recipe!

Dr. Phoenyx Austin is a physician, author and media personality. Dr. Phoenyx’s new book, If You Love It, It Will Grow: A Guide to Growing Long Afro-Textured Hair is available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iTunes. Special autographed book copies can be ordered directly from her blog, DrPhoenyx.com. You can also find Dr. Phoenyx on Facebook and Twitter.

• hildegarde August 20, 2012, 3:30 pm

i been natural for 15 years

• serena jones August 20, 2012, 3:39 pm

i have dry thinning hair natural, do u have any suggestions

• Marie Young August 21, 2012, 10:39 am

I have been natural for about 4 months and it has been a rough transition. So far I’ve been using the avocado treatments, however I’ve been adding honey to what you’ve already suggested and I LOVE it. It really does make my hair feel healthier.

I also have natural hair survey for any readers of this comment. It can be found at: http://www.goodlooknout.com/survey/

• Cherry August 23, 2012, 3:47 am

I wanted to deep condition my hair with avocado so I can let them sit longer than 5 minutes, right?

• Dr. Phoenyx September 6, 2012, 12:40 am

Hi Cherry! You can def let the avocado sit longer than 5 minutes. 5 minutes is the minimum. I like 5-10 minutes. And some women let it sit up to 20-30 minutes. Just test it out and see what works for you. Good luck!

• Morgan Irwin August 24, 2012, 1:43 pm

How often should I use one of these treatments on my hair?

• Dr. Phoenyx September 6, 2012, 12:43 am

Hey Morgan! It’s really up to you. You can do it every time you wash your hair or once/twice a month. Really, it’s up to you. Have fun experimenting and learning what works for you. The key is to create your own regimen and be consistent with it. Good luck!

• Treasure August 31, 2012, 11:03 am

I make up my own with no consistency or measuring at all. I use 1 egg, t TB or so of honey, a couple TB of my conditioner, some EVOO. I normally deep condition for 30 minutes but if I’m lazy I’ll go to sleep and rinse in the morning. I have seen a difference in my hair when I deep condition.

• Shanay September 2, 2012, 1:21 pm

I love using homemade ingredients on my hair. My favorite is using honey on my hair. It really keeps my hair moisturize through out the week.

• Karen October 20, 2012, 12:28 am

Thanks for the informative treatment regime and how often should they be done. What kind of conditioner do u recommend using after rinse?

• Nykeya Cox April 10, 2013, 1:55 pm

Hi Im having such an issue learning My Hair For starters I have PCOs, and an issue with Thinning in the Front Which Thanks to Weight loss and JBCO its coming in, I have a problem with Moisture and dryness and when I apply shea butter and JBCO castor oil My Hair is so greasy I dont know whats to much because I just do my scalp, Please Help me, I tried Greek Yougurt 1 egg Jbco and honey and it seemed soft but still tangled, I dont really have the money to go to the shop all the time, I also cant get twist outs to work right, Id be ok if it was soft and wavy

• Veronica May 15, 2013, 6:05 am

Can I use Coconut Oil instead of jojoba oil?

• Tipp May 22, 2013, 7:34 am

I have ben natural for 1 year now and the transition was rough but I begin to get braids and I kept getting them for 8 months.It was easier and made my hair grow faster.I’m trying the honey treatment now.

• Bine July 19, 2013, 7:04 pm

Can I also use mayo with eggs and Avocado?

• Chocolate October 28, 2013, 12:03 pm

I love making hair products. I have been finding that my DYI conditioners and treatments work better on my hair than store brought ones. My hair loves coconut anything! ;-) I have recently started using avocados on my hair. Im glad I did!