- Limit baths and showers to only 5-6 minutes and only once a day. Make sure the water is not too hot. I know this may be difficult for some, but long periods under hot water will wreak havoc on our skin. It’s worth the sacrifice.
- Use a MILD soap or cleanser for your skin instead of a deodorant soap. Gentle body cleansers that work pretty well for me that you may want to try: Dove Beauty Bar (like Unscented or the Nourishing Care Shea Butter Body Bar) or Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Wash.
- MOISTURIZE! I cannot say this enough. Do this within the first few minutes of getting out of the bath or shower when skin is still damp to lock in moisture. PAT skin dry and then apply a light oil or body cream all over. Some of my faves: The Body Shop body butter (http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/body-products/body-butter.aspx?cm_re=Tyra_VineyardPeach2012-_-Navigation-_-Body-Body_Butter); Vaseline Intensive Care Body Oil Gel; or my homemade whipped shea butter (60% raw shea butter, 20% coconut oil, 10% jojoba oil; 10% castor oil).
- Consider a humidifier to add moisture into the air in your home. This will make the air less dry and alleviate some dry skin issues.
- Protect your skin from the cold air when outside – wear gloves, scarves, etc.