Mae’s Current Natural Hair Care Regimen: January 2013

Hi guys!!!

SO i know that we’re already 13 days in, but I just have to wish you a Happy New Year since this is the FIRST post on NaturalChica.com in 2013!

2012 was an exciting year and I look forward to what’s in store for 2013! I hope all of you are still motivated and working hard towards the goals you have made for this year. Just remember that tiny steps in the right direction eventually lead to large accomplishments…so don’t be afraid to take that first step : )

As my first post, I thought it would be fitting to share with you all my current regimen. I’ve been fully natural now for over 3 years (Big Chop: July 2009 – my how the time has flown) and my regimen is constantly changing as I find what techniques and products work best for my hair in each stage of it’s journey. Before I delve in, I will admit that I have MANY favorite products that I like to rotate between, but what matters most in my regimen is HOW I use the products and of course the styling techniques that go along with them. So here we go…

THE WASH DAY

I’ll be honest…I used to DREAD when it came time to wash my hair. It wasn’t until I started looking at “wash day” as a time to take a break from my busy week that I really began to enjoy the process and truly learned what worked best for my hair.

Right now, I like washing my hair with shampoo bars. I’m currently using shampoo bars from a company called “Bobeam” (their Cocoa & Rhassoul Clay Bar smells AH-MAZING!) . I wash my hair in the shower, and start by letting the water run through my hair and then separating it into 4 sections with my fingers. I then secure the 4 sections with clamps. Taking the shampoo bar, I lather it near my scalp on the perimeter of the section. I then work the lather with my fingertips throughout the base of the section and then smooth my hair from the base to the ends between my palms. This helps to detangle my hair and I continue detangling with my fingers working from ends to the roots, all while under the running water. Having the water beat down on my hair while finger detangling really helps speed up the process! After detangling, I thoroughly rinse the section and then two -strand twist it. I then repeat this process with the rest of the 3 sections.

CONDITIONING aka SEALING IN THE MOISTURE

So this next step is CRUCIAL to how my hair behaves for the rest of the week, and that is the conditioning step. No matter the season, I’ve found that my hair needs a water-rich heavy cream to seal the moisture in my hair after the cleansing process. Most times I will treat my conditioning step as my styling step as well, and use a  moisture-rich product to directly twist or braid my hair after cleansing. I’ve found that this really cuts down on my total washing/styling time but is still good to my hair : ) The products I’ve been rotating between lately have been Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter, CURLS Curl Soufflé – Curl Cream  and OBI Natural Haircare Curl Moisture Cream. The reason why I default to twists or braids for styling is because I’ve found that they are the best for keeping my hair stretched for a week and really helps to prevent severe tangling throughout the course of the week. Although I loved wash n’ go’s when my hair was shorter, I’ve almost had to steer completely clear of them as my hair has gotten longer because my hair gets horribly tangled just over the course of a couple days! Now THAT makes wash day absolutely dreadful. I once spent over an hour trying to detangle my hair BEFORE washing because it was just…that…bad. I have now learned the errors of my ways and twists and braids it is for this head of mine!

However, there are times when my hair is really begging for more moisture, and that’s when I’ll do a steam conditioning treatment with my Huetiful steamer and a conditioner (2 of my faves: Karen’s Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask & Eden Body Works Jojoba Monoi Deep Conditioner). What I do is use the conditioner to twist my hair (i’m very heavy-handed with applying the conditioner) and then sit under the steamer for around 30 minutes. I then rinse the conditioner out of my hair (while my hair is still in twists) and proceed with styling, which usually ends up being two-strand twists or braids.

MAINTENANCE

After twisting or braiding my hair, I typically let it dry overnight. The longer I let my hair dry before taking down my twists/braids, the more defined my twist-out/braid-out style is. There are times though when I do want a more “fluffy fro” look, and I’ll take down my hair while it’s slightly damp. The one thing I make sure to do in both cases though is to use a light oil/butter on my fingertips when taking down my twists/braids. My favorites right now are Earth’s Nectar Hair Care Monoi Hair Milk , CURLS Champagne & Caviar Curl Elixir and Koils by Nature Nourishing Hair & Body Butter. This helps to decrease frizz when separating my hair to create a more fuller, but defined look and also adds a nice sheen.

Now if I have a busy week ahead, I rarely twist or braid my hair back up when it’s time to go to bed. I do sleep on a satin pillowcase though to prevent breakage due to friction. Occasionally I will re-twist or re-braid my hair at night, and when I do so, it’s important for me to add more moisture back to my hair so there is actually some amount of moisture to seal in when I use my styling creams. Sometimes it will be as simple as dampening my hair with a spray bottle filled with water and oils (sweet almond, extra virgin olive oil) or using a light leave in conditioner or moisture milk (Current faves: OBI Curl Hydration Spray, Camille Rose Naturals Curl Love Moisture Milk, Karen’s Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia, Karen’s Body Beautiful Hair Blossom Moisture Mist, CURLS Cashmere Curls Leave-In Conditioner and  Koils by Nature Moisturizing Shealoe Leave-In Conditioner ).

Now this is what works for me, but hopefully it can give you some ideas on where to start if you’re trying to work out your own hair care regimen this year, just remember to have patience and don’t be afraid to switch up your techniques and/or styling products!

As always, feel free to let me know if you have any questions about my current regimen, and I’ll try my best to respond to as many questions via the comment section below : )

• Tamiko January 13, 2013, 3:06 pm

I have noticed that I have about 2 different hair types since going natural with is almost my 1yr anniversary. My front section is 2b but my back is extremely more 4c do you have any tips on how to manage my moisture with this crazy mixture?

• Mae January 13, 2013, 3:14 pm

Trust me when I say you’re not alone : ) I have several different textures as well. This is usually why I’m heavy-handed when it comes to using my products for sealing in moisture. I use enough so that all of my hair is thoroughly coated. Don’t be afraid to experiment with the consistencies of the products that you’re using, as well as the amount. I’m sure you’ll find the right balance in no time!

• Toshia January 13, 2013, 3:11 pm

HAPPY NEW YEARS NIKKIMAE! BEST WISHES FOR THE COMING YEAR!

• Mae January 13, 2013, 3:14 pm

Thanks so much and same to you! : )

• MsShaneO January 13, 2013, 3:23 pm

Happy New Year Mae!!!!
    Quick question though, do you still blow dry your hair to set styles or now that your hair is longer, it is completely out of your regimen?
    Thank you! ^.^

• Mae January 13, 2013, 3:30 pm

Hi! I actually haven’t used any form of heat styling on my hair for about a year. I’ve been doing wet sets for my twist-outs and braid-outs. That’s not to say I won’t try blow drying at all this year though…We shall see : )

• Johnna January 13, 2013, 3:23 pm

Mae, you have taught me just about everything about working with my natural hair and I thank you so much! In your early stages of being natural, did you ever blow dry your hair first before twisting to add more length? What are your thoughts, do you recommend that?

• Mae January 13, 2013, 3:32 pm

I’m so glad I could help! In my early stages, I would blow dry to give myself more length to work with. My advice is to not do it often though and to use the lowest heat setting possible. You’re not trying to straighten your hair, but to just stretch it. Always be sure to use a heat protectant as well. Jane Carter has a nice leave-in that would work well for that.

• Brandi January 13, 2013, 3:40 pm

It is so nice to see you have some so far. I have watched you since ’09 sitting in the chair getting your “big chop”.
    I am newly natural and I am experiencing a lot of dryness. I have not yet found the right product. I believe I have 4c hair. (I call it NAPPY) Any suggestions?

• Mae January 13, 2013, 5:48 pm

I would definitely suggest looking into any of the products that I mentioned for either styling creams and the leave-in moisturizers above. Don’t worry…in the beginning it can take some experimenting here and there to find the right combinations. Try to have fun with the process : )

• Drika January 13, 2013, 3:52 pm

You mentioned a product I really wanna try, the Karen’s Body Beautiful Luscious Lock Hair Mask! I’m a little apprehensive though because of the price lol

• melyssa January 13, 2013, 3:54 pm

Happy new year and thank you for taking the time to share your regimen. I know your very busy when you have time can you do a twist and braid out video. Thank you

• Mae January 13, 2013, 5:46 pm

Same to you! I actually have those vids up on my YouTube channel (Nikkimae2003) but I probably will have more updated ones later this year as well!

• Antoinette January 13, 2013, 4:03 pm

Hi! How long does it usually take you to finger detangle with your current process? This is the part of my natural hair care routine I have yet to master!

• Mae January 13, 2013, 5:46 pm

Hi! It usually takes me around 25 min. to detangle, as I’m detangling while cleansing my hair under the running water. The more you do it, the faster you’ll get. It used to take me FOREVER lol

• Wendy January 13, 2013, 4:07 pm

Hey great post :)
    I have been natural for a couple of months but I will be 2 years relaxer free in March. I have a huge problem with my wash days. I finish washing my hair but then I have to wait to style it when it gets almost dry but then I have a lot of shrinkage, and my hair takes a long time to dry. But my hair never turns out right after wash day, I usually have to do it all over again. Do let your hair dry for a while, and my hair is not long enough yet to stretch my twists or braid outs with a ponytail. I like to have length. But I can never get the styling right after washing right. I use whipped shea butter.

• Danielle January 13, 2013, 4:31 pm

Hey Mae! I’m newly natural and you have been my guide through my short but sometimes confusing journey.
    Thank you for what you do.
    My question is, in your early stages, how did you maintain your styles overnight? I have a combo of 4a n 4b
    so I like to use gel and kinda finger coil my hair. It gives it a nice TWA curly look (although I doubt that what I have is still a TWA, yay shrinkage!) but when I go to sleep, it gets all flat and funny looking. The process takes way too long to do everyday. Just wondering if you knew of a way to keep it curly overnight.

• Mae January 13, 2013, 5:44 pm

I totally understand because I went through that myself : ) What worked best for me was to spray a light leave-in (see some that I mentioned above) in my hair and use my fingertips to “revive” my curls. That would especially help me manipulate the sections that had become kind of flat. Hope that helps!

• Candis M January 13, 2013, 5:08 pm

Hi Mae! I’ve been looking at your vids and you’ve been a great encouragement to me. I’m trying to get serious about taking care of my hair but I’m not sure what to use. Have you ever used Shea Moisture products? Right now I’m trying to decide between Shea Moisture and Camille Rose Naturals. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Tekisha January 13, 2013, 5:14 pm

In the essence natural holiday bloggers guide you mentioned Shea Radiance Moisturizing Hair Milk. How do you this in your regimen?

• Mae January 13, 2013, 5:43 pm

Hi! I use that as a leave-in when I retwist or rebraid my hair.

• Melanie January 13, 2013, 5:16 pm

Happy New Year! Great post! I hit two years on December 6, and I too have began to realize that a wash and go just doesn’t work with that much length! :-( I have become a twist out girl in order to avoid the tangles. I have began to put conditioner on my hair, in sections, detangle, and twist prior to washing. It makes a the biggest difference. Every now and then, though, I will bring the curls back :-)

Have a great year!

• Char Young January 13, 2013, 5:38 pm

I love all your tips and have successfully used quite a few of them over the years…thank you for sharing your knowledge and experiences…your hair is always beautiful and I really admire your humble and sincere presence…God Bless you!!!

• Michele January 13, 2013, 6:03 pm

Hi I Mae I have been natural for two years and I can’t get passes the 7 inches. Do you have any advise or good products that will help aid in hair growth?

• Desiree January 13, 2013, 6:14 pm

Happy New Year Mae! Love your hair and your advice I did my BC. Oct 2012 and cant wait to see how it will look by the summer. I love being natural..

• Vanessa January 13, 2013, 7:45 pm

Hi Mae! Ok so I use a protein treatment when I wash my hair that consists of egg whites and olive oil. And I have been told to use a heat cap. I have really dry course hair and want to use a deep conditioner. I just bought the huetiful steamer. Do you suggest that I continue to use the protein treatment with the heat cap as well as using a deep conditioner with the hair steamer all in the same wash process?

• Mercedes January 13, 2013, 10:38 pm

Hi Mae! Long time YouTube subbie and Mae-hair-lover lol
    If you had to pick between one of the 2 deep conditioners that you said you use with your steamer, which would you pick? Which should I order?

Thanks

• Ayesha6Ayeshia January 14, 2013, 7:25 am

I am up getting ready for a bless day I just want to thank you for your tips and your hair is so beautiful. My hair is growing but it is still short like twa what kind of style can I wear? Oh yeah my hair is really thick I need help.

• tara January 14, 2013, 4:31 pm

hey mae! i love your regimen..going to try yours just to switch mines up because the kinky twists i had in for about a month has thinned my hair out alot. and its also due to hypothyroidism and pcos. please stop by my blog if u will.
    homemakertara.blogspot.com

• Olu January 15, 2013, 4:42 pm

Hi mae, i have been natural for a little over two years now and my hair is still short most especially the back. It is still just a little below my neck. i mostly get single braiding in my hair. this year i have vowed to stop getting braids and actually start taking care of my hair. i still don’t know how to do that or what products to use. i use suave almond and shea buttter shampoo and castro oil(one in the white container with a green cover), doo groo growth oil, sometimes extra virgin olive oil and dr. miracle nape cream. I have been watching your videos for awhile now and i love how your hair has grown and how beautiful it is. is their any product or anything you can recomend it do? PS. my hair texture looks similar to yours.
    I hope you can help and congrats in getting engaged

• Jamie January 16, 2013, 3:32 pm

Happy New Year Mae!!!
    You are such an inspiration to me. I absolutely love you and your tips. I’m newly natural and so glad i discovered your channel. Prior to that i always thought “hey it’s just hair”, and really paid no attention. I have 4c hair and would go for days on end without moisturing. Thanks to you I am taking better care of my hair and I am seeing a whole lot of growth.
    You are great, and I wish you every happiness.

• marlene January 27, 2013, 11:27 pm

Hi Mae,
    I am new to your yt channel,(and i love how genuine you are) been natural about four years, but its just in the past 2 years, I have really learned how to deal with my hair, still my biggest issue is dryness and breakage. I deep condition, i trim 2 times a year, i moisturize. Nothing has helped.

• Imelda January 27, 2013, 11:27 pm

Hi Mae, I know you used to detangle before hopping in the shower to shampoo. Did you stop doing that? Is this new process faster and better.I do the whole detangle before shampoo cuz it makes shampooing a breeze, but it does take forever to detangle though. Also with your new regimen, does that mean you only deep condition as and when you see fit?
    Thanks and all the best for 2013 :-)

• Mae January 28, 2013, 10:45 am

Hi! I did stop doing that. Detangling in the shower under the running water has been much easier for me. And yes, I deep condition as I see fit. I still try to do it once a week though!

• Imelda March 19, 2013, 9:42 pm

I appreciate it!

• Stacye January 27, 2013, 11:57 pm

Do you use the tangle teaser to distribute your conditioner?

• Trudi January 28, 2013, 12:46 am

no never used that….. is it something is should consider?

• Keisa February 4, 2013, 3:56 pm

Hi Trudi!

Per the review of Mae, and others, I went out and purchased the Tangle Teezer, and I love it. In my opinion, yes, you can use it to distribute your conditioner. However, I would suggest that you follow Mae’s washing method (in the shower, under water, while re-twisting it in sections), along with detangling each section with your conditioner, and you should have great results. Also, check out Mae’s review for great tips on using the Tangle Teezer. Best of luck, and thank you, Mae!

• Ana Fernandes January 28, 2013, 2:35 am

Hi Mae. Thank you so much for your blog and youtube videos. Your journey and advices have been of great inspiration to me.
    I don’t know if you can help me with this: I am natural for 14 months and I live in Angola, a tropical weather country. I spent my Christmas holidays in Portugal and in order to not to worry with hair routine in the winter during those 3 weeks I made braid extensions. When I took them off, my hairline was gone!!! I could not believe it. Is there anything I can do to make it grow again?
    Many thanks,
    Ana.

• thelalena30 January 28, 2013, 10:43 am

Congrads on ur ingagement Mae I pray God’s choices blessing for u and ur family. I have been natural myself for 3 yrs my bc was done on 9/19/2009 I have had a hard but rewarding time having my natural hair and learning my real hair and showing my daughters how wonderful it can be so keep up the encouraging videos we appreciate it.

• Wendy January 28, 2013, 1:21 pm

Hi Mae,
    I have been natural for almost 2 years now. I have a problem with knots on the ends of my hair. Do you have any suggestions on how to get rid of them or how to avoid getting them? I love all of your hair videos. They have helped me out a lot.

• Ashley I. January 28, 2013, 1:31 pm

Hello Mae!!! I absolutely LOVE watching your tutorials! My aunt first introduced me to your tutorials and said I was your twin! Lol I have been long-term transitioning and my last relaxer was March 2012. I plan to keep long-term transitioning. Do you have any tips on how to keep my hair moisturized? I ALWAYS moisturize and my hair sucks it up!! Also if you have any other tips, please let me know. : )

• Christina January 28, 2013, 5:54 pm

Hello Mae. I have been transitioning since the beginning of 2012. Do you have any tips for keeping my hair moisturized? Also if you have any other tips, please let me know.

• MLydia January 28, 2013, 6:08 pm

Hey Mae,

Happy New Year, ok so I’ve been natural for 8 years I know.. You would think my hair is down to my toes but nope it’s struggling to grow past my neck. This is obviously due to lack of knowledge in the natural hair department, also years of pulling, heat and all kinds of wrong products.. Right now I’ve been doing well with getting on this natural journey the right way.. And it’s going well however! My hair is at different lengths, from the back which is the longest to the front which is short what can I do to get even, should I chop it all off or trim.. I’ve got a round face so I’m not sure what to do.. In this stage of my life I don’t think the big chop is wise lol… What do u think?

Thanks..

• Christina January 28, 2013, 8:54 pm

You’re blogs are awesome! I just started going natural, but I have highlights in my hair from when I used to straighten it. The highlights are causing a lot of damage to my hair, do you have any suggestions? I get my ends clipped pretty often, but I still want to prevent breakage as much as possible so I can retain length.

• sabrina snowden January 29, 2013, 9:09 pm

Hi NikkiMae, Congrats to you and your future husband May God forever bless your upcoming marriage. My question is.. What can I do about my thin hair in the center of my head. I’m using black castor oil. What suggestions do you have? Thanks

• RaVensymphoNie February 1, 2013, 11:12 am

Hi Mae, thanks for all the questions you’ve answered about blow drying! Do you still discourage it if the heat is so low that you can blow it on your arm? I’ve been using super low / no heat blow drying with protectant for a couple months, but worried that I may be doing long term damage that I won’t see until it’s too late. Thoughts?

• Trina February 3, 2013, 3:19 pm

Happy New Year Mae,
    Looking at your weekl regiment it looks you wash your hair and then go right to a styling product. Do you not always follow your wash with a washout conditioner?

• maureen duru March 7, 2013, 9:13 am

Hi im13 years old and on my bday i want to do the big chop and im exicted to do it and watching your video how ur hair turned out makes me want to do it know loo thank u for makeing videos i love it

• Kiara March 7, 2013, 8:27 pm

I’m 9 months into my natural hair journey and I do a lot of wash and go’s. I find wash and go’s allows me to manage my hair better. Do you think this is healthy for my hair?? My hair type is 4a and I have a lot of shrinkage as well. I tried bantu knots and two strand twist but I didn’t like the results. At first I thought it was because of the shrinkage but now I’m convinced its because of the products I’m using. Lately I’ve been trying a lot of products but haven’t found the one that I love yet. My hair also has a color in it and i often find my ends to be really dry and frizzy by the end of the day. Help! What do you suggest I do?

• Julia March 15, 2013, 4:05 pm

Keeping hair moisturized can be difficult. I used to have bad luck when trying to keep my hair from being dried out. Now I massage coconut oil into my hair to keep the moisture locked in.

• Shannie May 3, 2013, 1:50 pm

Hi I’ve been watching your tutorials on youtube for a few weeks now. I must tell you, out of all the tutorials that I saw (and there were maaaaannnnny!) I appreciate yours the most. I’ve been battling with the decision to go natural for the longest time. Observing some of my friends on their natural hair journey have been somewhat discouraging because their hair sometimes look a hot mess. I’m one who’s always concerned about my appearance, so my hair has to always be on point. (I should refer them to your youtube page) However, viewing your regimens on products and styles have been very helpful in making up my mind to join this journey. I am just in the transitioning stage though- no big chop yet- but I see this is something I can definitely do. My last perm was on March 14th, 2013 but my hair grows extremely fast. It looks like I haven’t permed my hair in months. I am excited to see what I accomplish and I owe that all to you. Thank you! By the way what suggestions can you offer me when it comes to humidity. I live in the Bahamas where it is 90% humid. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

• Mariam June 5, 2013, 5:17 pm

Hi Mae!…wow your website has been so informative!……I’ve decided to go natural too but without the big chop,I will use protective styles such as braids and all that..please give me some tips that you think will help me in this transition….and I pray and hope my hair gets to look as beautiful and healthy as yours!…and you’re really pretty!..God bless :) thanks

• Cambria Anderson June 22, 2013, 3:53 am

Hello random non-hair related question… what brand & color is that pink lipstick you are wearing in the bottom left pic? It’s super cute!

• Kerline Momperousse February 3, 2014, 12:38 pm

Dear: Mae

Hey my name is Kerline and I need help with maintaining my hair. First I want to say, I am inspired by your hair and the way you make it look so alive. I want my hair to be just like yours. My hair type is in the 4 section and I need your personal help on my journey. Please help me! I will appreciate it.

sincerely Kerline

• Carla October 29, 2014, 8:44 am

I wish you could do another article like this one for this more recent date. Would love to know if you updated your regimen or if this has always worked. :)

• Mae October 29, 2014, 11:09 am

I will make a note to make an updated regimen post! Thanks :)