Two-Strand Flat Twists/Twist-Outs – Why it’s my new go-to style!!

Most of you know that for the past few years, my go-to style has been the two-strand twist out, however, I think I may have found my new go-to style…two-strand flat twists (and the twist out from this style as well)!!

The reason why I hadn’t tried this style much earlier was because I didn’t know how to two-strand flat twist. I started practicing at the beginning of this year, and I think I’m finally getting the hang of it..woohoo!!

Here a couple reasons why this is my new favorite way of setting my hair

1. It’s easy for me to do on wet hair or dry hair that has been lightly stretched via blow-drying

2. I can do less two-strand flat twists compared to regular two-strand twists for an equally defined look

3. This is related to #2 in that it takes me WAY less time to do the fewer two-strand flat twists than my normal number of regular two-strand twists

4. I don’t have to separate my hair as much when I take the two-strand flat twists down, which means less frizz!

5. I have more definition from root to tip, which allows me to wear the style for a longer period of time

Is this one of your favorite go-to styles as well? I would love to hear your tips and tricks!

• Charlene April 14, 2013, 4:17 pm

use to do single two strand twists and when I was able to do flat twist it change my life..because of your reason number two. So easy, less twists to make, and u can get the same look as single two strand twists..I always use water, castor oil and sometimes I add shea butter..Love it!

• Isa April 14, 2013, 4:18 pm

Love this look on you. Just wondering where you work. My job would be talking smack about me wearing my hair like that for days. They would consider them braids because they don’t know the difference and it would be deemed unprofessional. I just did my hair like this anyway. Lol.

• Mae April 14, 2013, 4:30 pm

I work in an academic setting and I actually would pull the twists back in a ponytail when I would go to work

• Kayla April 14, 2013, 7:24 pm

How do you wear your twist outs to bed?

• Mae April 14, 2013, 7:41 pm

I usually retwist in larger sections or I pull my hair up in a scarf and sleep on a satin pillowcase

• sandy April 14, 2013, 9:36 pm

Oh yes I love these. One of my tips is on second day or more hair. I pineapple by pulling the hair sections that were used for the flat twists and making the pineapples about mid way from root to end. In other words make the pineapples where the twists were and make them lower. The pineapples will be more on the sides than on the top of your head. It helps to keep the roots straighter and when you remove the pineapples, it’s easy to just fluff without disturbing the curls from the point where the pineapple was to the end of the hair.

Your hair style will then hang without any puffs anywhere. Hope this is clear. I also found this works on most lengths of hair and also the definition can last up to a week or more. Another thing I do is just to refresh the twists that get fuzzy. Or even the twists on the side and front. (which are more visible) It really is an easy style. If your hair is short then do the flat twists from the root to halfway down. And do another set of flat twists from where the other flat twist ends to the bottom. In other words you will have two levels(high and low) of flat twists.
    Have fun and hopes this helps someone.

• Mae April 17, 2013, 2:19 pm

Great tips! Thanks : )

• Valice April 14, 2013, 9:42 pm

I just started flat twisting this month. I love it! I can give my hair a different shape depending on the direction of the flat twist. This week’s style is a protective flat twist updo. Kinda like goddess braids. So excited!!

• mjfangirl April 16, 2013, 10:26 am

how do you get so much volume? whenever i separate i always get hair that looks very piece-y and uneven. do you have any tips for fluffing and separating the twists?

ps- i love your blog! :)

• Andrea Anderson April 16, 2013, 11:41 pm

This turned out so pretty. I need to practice my flat twisting, because the last time I tried this, it turned out crazy. Lol. I guess practice makes perfect :) Thanks for tutorial Mae!

• Natasha miller April 21, 2013, 5:50 pm

I’m still learning the two strand flat twists but love the outcome

• Carolyn Barr May 18, 2013, 3:19 pm