My BASIC Hair Care Salon Experience

This past weekend, I had the privilege of being a special guest speaker at the Atlanta Naturals Brunch held at Marlow’s Tavern. The sponsor for the event was BASIC Hair Care, and as a kind gesture, they agreed to give me the BASIC hair care experience before the event so I could become familiar with their product line.

BASIC1

My experience took place at the Bangz & Tanglez salon, where I was under the care of stylist and BASIC hair care educator, Latoya Brown. Latoya has been a licensed barber and stylist for over 20 years. What was also impressive was the fact that she has been transitioning clients from relaxed to natural hair for over 16 years. She has been natural for 17 years herself.

She explained to me that she would be using the BASIC BOOST treatment system on my hair. What’s unique about the BOOST system is that it contains quinoa, which is able to deliver an array of essential amino acids to the hair, in turn creating a protective barrier for the hair follicle. This barrier helps to bind moisture, protect, repair and condition the hair while also penetrating the hair to strengthen the follicle.

Latoya started by clarifying my hair with the BASIC clarifying shampoo to remove any potential build-up so my hair would be clean and receptive to the following shampoo and conditioning steps. She then shampooed my hair with the BOOST Sulfate Free Shampoo followed by a conditioning step with the BOOST Rapid Restoration Conditioner. She detangled my hair with the conditioner in it, placed my hair in large twists and covered my hair with a plastic cap before I sat underneath the dryer for about 20 minutes.

After rinsing out the conditioner, she then misted the BOOST conditioning treatment onto my hair, which has the highest concentration of quinoa out of all the products in the BOOST treatment line. She then applied BASIC Herbaceous Oil to my hair, which is a blend of grapeseed, olive, kukui nut, argan, carrot seed, ximenia, kalahari melon seed and baobab oils.

Latoya then blew my hair out so she could give me a trim. The last time I had my hair blown out was for my wedding over 6 months ago, so it was nice to be able to see how my hair had grown since then!

BASIC2For my style, we decided on a flexi-rod set, and she used the BASIC Setting Lotion to set my hair. After sitting under the dryer for about an hour, she took out the rods and then separated each curl into several sections to give me some voluminous curls!

BASIC3

I really loved the style and the fact that the products she used didn’t weigh down my hair at all and gave my hair a natural, non-greasy sheen. What I enjoyed most was that Latoya was extremely informative as to what each product was doing for my hair. I could tell that she values the importance of educating her clients on healthy hair practices.

BASIC4BASIC5

Although I LOVED my flexi rod set, for the actual Atlanta Naturals brunch, I ended up having to redo my hair since the rain decided to wreak havoc on my style. I ended up doing my trusty two-strand flat twist-out with the BASIC Enhancing Cream and used the BASIC Herbaceous Oil to minimize frizz. I loved the results and definitely had a great time meeting all the attendees and talking all things natural hair at the brunch! For more pics from the brunch, you can visit my instagram page (@msnikkimae

BASIC6

For more info on BASIC Hair Care

@BasicHairCare

Disclosure of Material Connection: This is a “sponsored post.” The company who sponsored it compensated me via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value to write it. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

• Candice Selby September 27, 2013, 10:56 am

Wow! that is gorgeous!

• Kyshia September 27, 2013, 11:11 am

Both styles look good. So did the product keep your hair moisturized?

• Mae September 27, 2013, 4:18 pm

Thanks! And yes, they did without making my hair feel “product-heavy”

• Janel September 27, 2013, 2:48 pm

Absolutely fabulous! I love it! I have to check her out when I come to Georgia.

• Ker'en September 27, 2013, 3:48 pm

WOW Mae, I love it! Flexi-rods are ALL THAT! I ordered some from Amazon and I can’t wait to try them out! BASIC Hair Care seems to have a GREAT products! From Oct 2012 to March 2013 I was in Stone Mountain Georgia and I wish I would have know about Bangz and Tanglez Hair Salon! I will definitely tell my sister to check you guys out she resides in Georgia but goes to a Dominican Hair Salon for blowouts.

• Mae September 27, 2013, 4:19 pm

Ooo have fun with your flexi-rods! If you tell your sister about the salon, remember to refer her specifically to Latoya Brown. All stylists in the salon don’t use the BASIC products and I don’t believe all specialize in natural hair either.

• Sherelle September 27, 2013, 4:25 pm

Your hair is gorgeous! I love it! #teamnatural

• Teke September 27, 2013, 4:59 pm

Simply lovely! Latoya has been my stylist for over 7years now. I love her passion for educating her clients on how to take care of their hair! Im currently using the Basic line and I too love that the product doesnt weigh my 4b hair down or makes it greasy..She coached me through my transition from relaxed to natural. It’s been 4 years and I’m never reverting back! Latoya is the best!!♥

• Maggie September 27, 2013, 9:48 pm

Your hair looks awesome!

• Britt @ One&20 September 28, 2013, 1:33 pm

Your hair looks absolutely beautiful!
    I have yet to do a flexi-rod set but I really think I should try it after seeing your results!
    Britt @ One&20

• Ursula September 30, 2013, 10:53 am

Ok, I am going to make an appointment stat!!! Your hair is beyond beautiful. I have been wondering about the flexi rods and I think I will finally give it a try!

• Shanda October 1, 2013, 3:47 pm

I love your hair! I am going to look into the Basic Line and get some flexi rods. I have yet to find a product that actually works well for me. I think I have too many textures to my hair…lol

• Dani October 2, 2013, 10:56 pm

This flexirods style looks sooooo gorgeous on you!!! I haven’t done this style in a few years! Must try soon! So pretty!!:)

• Mae October 3, 2013, 10:40 am

Thank you! : )

• Ninie October 9, 2013, 8:28 am

I am taking “hair trip” for this…just a weekend relaxing drive with the objective of getting my hair done at this place…14 hours away!

• Denise October 24, 2013, 5:44 pm

Hi Mae, I too am a naturalist that exercises 5x/week. As a result, I wear a pony tail 24/7. Any suggestions on efficient/easy hair care routines would be appreciated. My hair appears to be similar in texture and lenght to yours and has a permanent colour. Thx
    Denise

• BkAphrodite November 1, 2013, 4:42 pm

The BASIC Hair Care team is super amazing. I got the chance to meet them during Fro Fashion Week in Brooklyn, New York and they gave awesome details on their line. I was also styled by one of their stylists and my hair came out feeling super cute. My hair had a lot of sheen as well.

• KB November 18, 2013, 6:56 pm

Please let me know how long is the style supposed to last and what was the maximum amount of time you spent in the salon? Your hair looks really beautiful in that style. This doesn’t look like a DIY style.

• Mary May 25, 2014, 11:07 am

I love the result. Simple yet so beautiful.